MONEY TRANSFORMATION FOR WOMEN
OMEN AND MONEY TRANSFORMATION: From Feckless to Fabulous.
HOW TO TRANSFORM YOUR MONEY STORY: OF BLINDSPOTS and HIDING and other ‘SINS’ and how to STEP OUT OF MONEY DARKNESS.
Let’s face it, when it comes to money women tend to fall behind men at a staggering pace.
Sure there is that glass ceiling for women in the corporate world, men are still vastly favored for high paying jobs and a general gender money inequality reaches from middle management to mega stars even in Hollywood!
But it’s not all on the outside. Money is in good part – perhaps for the most part – an inside job.
Hold onto your britches ladies, because it’s about to get good!
My Money Story in 3 sentences or less:
- I used to be terrified of money, scared and hiding from it like a ferocious outside demon until my 40’s!
- I thought money was decidedly ‘unsexy’: the seeming money-grabbing power python of the financially fluent female was not an identity that I could easily envision myself to slide into nor feel remotely like retaining even a smidgen of feminine identity.
Bottom line: It boils down to alternatively feeling helpless and victimized by money and repulsed by the monstrous identity that money seems to demand from us.
THE GOOD NEWS:
Eventually I dug myself out of that feckless fate and learned a few lessons to fabulousness when it comes to money and financial fluency.
‘Well, pray speak my dear friend’, you might ask. So here is the first lesson in my Women and Money Transformation:
Rule # 1: STOP Hiding from money. You probably have a few of your own money hiding blindspots.
Here are just a few:
- Hide from the fact that others earn more and that your services, talents, skills, art is worth a whole lot more than you are currently holding in your oh so gentle hands.
- You tell yourself that it’s not about the money! You are just glad to share your talents and expertise for free. No really! (Cough, blush, gasp!)
- Hide from how much you spend. Or WANT to spend!
- Hide from how much money (exorbitant it seems) you would need to afford the life style you desire and secretly (Yep we just excavated another blindspot) lust for but feel underserving of. More of hiding from your desires later on in this series.
- Hide from the past and the shame or discomfort you might feel in your less than elegant dealings with money
- Hide how much you owe in credit card debt .
- Hide from the drudgery of ‘money is dirty or at the very least hideously sinful’ and as such you shouldn’t have it o partake in it’s inherent evil, lest you surely ride to hell on a less than fashionable broomstick. Shudder.
- Hide that you might not trust yourself around money and fear you might all squander it, like these lottery winners you heard about in the media, once you have it.
The list is endless. Add your own peculiar HIDE and SEEK Stratagems you have clandestinely been indulging in and root them out like moldy dusting in a good Spring Cleaning.
To get rid of the clutter and junk, you first have to face it, look at it, handle it and discard it. Be ruthless in your task.
TASK 1: Make a list of all the ways you are and have been hiding from money.
ACTION STEP- NOW ON TO THE FUN STUFF!
Make money your friend. Go on a date with you money and get to know it. You have been playing hard to get. It’s much more fun to get a lil’ intimate, with your money that is. Preferably have the date in an uplifted environment a rooftop bar for instance with spectacular views, a luxurious hotel lounge, or atop a tree filled mountain peak … you get the idea.
Like the elusive lover you have been, take time to reacquaint yourself with your money. Face how you have turned your back on it, rejected it, churlishly hid from it or otherwise abused your money and the good money wants to do in your life.
I recommend writing a list or recording yourself in some audio device as you are on your hot blind date with money.
Next congratulate yourself. Celebrate yourself and your money.
To quote Rick’s (aka Humphrey Bogart) budding bromance at the ending of ‘Casablanca’: “Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”
Money is energy. Nothing more nothing less.
WORDS OF WISDOM:
Money is an amplifier. It’s not good or bad, evil or sinful. In the hands of someone with good in their heart it amplifies that good.
Stay Tuned for Part 2 of the Women and Money Transformation series where we explore just how this new romance can be cultivated lest you trample on the tender new green shoots. Instead, let’s coax it into an abundant bundle of blooms and blossoms.
DON’T TOUCH THAT DIAL because in Part 2 it ‘s going to get rollickingly romantic: Money, like a great lover wants to bring out the best in you!